Monday, July 23, 2012

Monday night dinner

Roast beef in the crock pot
I'm sure there could be some fancy name for this but I just call it what it is.

This is probably my favorite dinner of all time. My mom would make it all the time for me back in high school. It was my most requested meal when I lived at home. I can still remember coming home from school, walking up the front steps, just barely opening the front door and smelling this dinner. Ahhhh.

Mondays can be a really lazy night and I knew I would not want to cook after work so I prepped this last night, threw it together this morning before work and it was ready for me when I got home. I love coming in the door and having dinner ready to eat. It makes me so happy to smell that heavenly aroma instantly. Before I even set my purse down I stick a fork in to taste a carrot, then a potato -- yummmmm - Hot! But Yum. Yup! Another masterpiece that I can't wait to eat! So simple yet my taste buds go crazy for this meal.


Ingredients:
  • roast (this time I think it was a Eye of Round Roast, but I just browse the roasts and buy what looks good)
  • carrots
  • potatoes (russet)
  • onion (I usually buy white onions but yellow is ok to use too)
  • beef broth
  • roast beef seasoning (I have this container of roast beef rub that I usually use for this meal - its by all the other seasonings at your local grocery store)
  • S&P (that's salt and pepper)
  • 2 bay leaves

Steps:
  1. Peel and chop carrots, potatoes and onion. You want them in somewhat big chunks but still cut up fairly well. Now if you're prepping this meal the night before you can stop here and do the rest in the morning. Or, if you can fit your whole crock pot in your fridge you can do the rest up to plugging it in and turning it on. I switch it up depending on the shelf space in my fridge.
  2. Throw in a handful or two of the carrots, onion, potatoes then pour in about 1.5 to 2 cups beef broth and about 2 cups water.
  3. Season your roast - I use a roast rub so I first put S&P all over the roast and then the rub all over.
  4. Put the roast in the crock pot (Now, my sister sears the roast first, then puts it in the crock pot. I don't do this because I rather just throw everything in and let it cook itself and save a step.)
  5. Throw in the rest of the carrots, onion, potatoes
  6. Pour in more water and/or beef broth so the liquid is just at the top of the roast.
  7. Plug in and turn on low if your leaving it all day, mine was on low for about 9 hours today
  8. Feast

I could stand at the counter with a fork and eat the whole darn thing its so good. Oh, sometimes if I have an open bottle of red wine I'll throw some of that in while its cooking too, but I didn't have a bottle open today.

When I got home I made a couple salads and dinner was ready. Happy Monday to me!





After dinner it was time to give Patches a bath. We went for a loooooong walk down to the lake on Saturday and smelt terrible! blahhh! He does not like baths but he is much more well behaved than he was for his first couple baths when we first got him.







He's saying "I hate baths and now I'm a wet doggy!"




He doesn't stay like this for long.
He's already back up, running around, squeaking toys.








No comments:

Post a Comment