Tuesday, July 24, 2012

Apple Cinnamon Roll Cupcakes

These were really good. I brought them to work Monday and everyone loved them. Because I decided to get fancy with the decorations they took me a while to make, but if you just make the basic cupcake w/frosting it will take you no time at all. I wanted the marshmallows to look like little cinnamon rolls on the tops. How fun!



Ingredients:
  • French Vanilla Cake Mix
  • 2 Eggs
  • 1 Can Apple Pie Filling
  • 1 Container Duncan Hines Cinnamon Roll Frosting Creation
  • 1/4 Cup Frosted Flakes
  • 1/4 Cup Cinnamon Bun Marshmallows (I know- Do these really exist? Yes they do!)
  • A handful of chocolate chips

Steps:

1. Open can of pie filling and chop up apple slices - you don't want whole slices for cupcakes


2. Mix pie filling, cake mix and 2 eggs until well blended (you don't need a mixer, just a good wooden spoon)

3. Fill cupcake liners and bake according to directions on cake mix box

4. Let cupcakes cool completely

5. Crunch up Frosted Flakes - I put in a prep bowl and mash with a spoon until the crumbs are the size I want for a topping

6. Mix up Duncan Hines Frosting Creations frosting -- really well so you don't have swirls. One thing I have to say is although this frosting mix is very tasty it is kind of runny and always seems to slide off some of my cupcakes. Boo. But those are the ones I eat then so I guess its ok. Maybe I should refrigerate the cupcakes when I use this frosting.


7. Cut marshmallows in half so they are not so big. (I had a hard time slices them and mentioned this at work and then the marshmallow expert said I should have used scissors to cut them. Duh! That would have been easier! oh well- next time)

8. Melt chocolate chips and using a toothpick drizzle or draw circles on the marshmallows.


9. Frost cupcakes.

10. Sprinkle Frosted Flakes and top with a Cinnamon Bun marshmallow.



Ahhhhhh- when I was done this is how I enjoyed one of these.....


with a scoop of Neapolitan ice cream. Yum!

No comments:

Post a Comment