Wednesday, August 1, 2012

Southwest Night - YUM!!!

A while back my foodie friend and I had a food night that we themed Southwest Night. When we get together we either like to try a new restaurant or make food ourselves. This was a night where we made our own delicious dinner.


She made tostadas and I prepared a Southwest salad. We ate guac, salsa and drank margaritas while we prepared the meal.
Pico de Gallo (fancy salsa):
- Roma tomatoes (4 or 5), chopped
- 1/2 green pepper, chopped
- 1/2 jalapeno pepper, minced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/3 cup red onion, chopped
- 1 lime, juiced
- handful of cilantro, chopped
- salt and pepper


Guacamole:
- avocados (2-3), smashed
- garlic cloves (2), minced
- Roma tomatoes, chopped
- 1/4 cup red onion chopped
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- 1 lime, juiced
- handful of fresh cilantro, chopped
- salt and pepper


Southwest Cobb Salad:
Lettuce
Tomatoes
Corn (I used can corn but thawed frozen corn or fresh corn cooked on the cob will do too)
Black Beans (canned)
Avocado
Onion
Chicken
Green Pepper
Dressing: sour cream mixed with Chipotle Cheddar salad dressing (brand is Brianna’s, I love this dressing. I used it for a lot of dishes – sauce for fish tacos, dip for sweet potato fries- so good!!!)

Tostadas:
Pulled Pork
Chicken
Red Onion
Lettuce
Corn Tortillas
Re-fried Beans
Radishes
Cucumber
Sour Cream
Shredded Cheese


To make the tostadas place on baking sheet and bake at 350 until crispy. You can fry them in oil too but baking is a healthier option (and I think its easier too). Then top with the toppings you like and feast. I like to spread the re-fried beans on first, then top with everything else.


For the salad-- I like to section the salad because it looks pretty, but it can be hard to eat and get the ingredients you want.



I just got back from the grocery store and I'm making tostadas this weekend- yum!!!


No comments:

Post a Comment