Tuesday, August 21, 2012

My Birthday!!!

Every year for the past, oh probably, 15 years my sister takes me out on my birthday. I take the day off of work and we hang out all day. I never know what we’re going to do until we do it. She plans the full day.

This year we started off the day with a morning (late morning, because I also like to sleep in on my birthday) visit to the Minneapolis Institute of Arts. I hadn’t been there in forever so we had lots to see and revisit.

We wanted to give this one to our mom and name it “Weeding”.....

And this one looks just like my brother-in-law!


After the MIA we headed to uptown for lunch, drinks and shopping. Lunch was at The Cafeteria, which I had never even heard of before we went. I had chicken and waffles. I never really understood what all the hype was around chicken and waffles--- but now I do! I was served a huge waffle with 2 pieces of the most moist crispy and moist chicken I’d ever eaten. All of this was sitting on top of home-style gravy. Ummmmmm. Oh, and I poured maple syrup over the entire plate too. I had to! Yum! My sister had a salad with shrimp, avocados, wantons and cashews in light vinaigrette. Because it was my birthday the waitress gave me cotton candy on a stick! How fun!



Then we went shopping and stopped at a rooftop restaurant for drinks. I had a white house made sangria. White wine with lemons, oranges and limes (not sure what else) – I definitely want to try to make this at home. We didn't have appetizers there because the waiter was lame  and didn't care it was my birthday. So we drank up, paid and left. (My sister used a different type of word for him, but I'll not use that here.)

Next stop was another cute restaurant - Cafe Barbette- where we each had fun bubbly drinks and a couple appetizers. We had oysters and portabella mushroom pave. (thats paaa-vey, not pave)


They were the BEST oysters we had ever eaten! I'm not sure why soe oysters are better than others but these were defniniately the best. They served them with a cup of some type of vinegar. Perfect addition. The pave (which I looked up while we were ordering and it means simply-- in the shape of a rectangle) was chilled grilled portabella mushrooms packed in a, you guessed it, rectangle and this was served with a pile of soba noodles topped with mango. Both were so good! I want to go back here for dinner some time. The menu looked de-lish!

It was getting late and I was also going out to dinner so we rushed out of the last place and headed back to the car. But first we stopped in Victoria Secret and covered ourselves with almost any type of body spray we could find and gave ourselves makeovers with the sample make up.

Dinner

For dinner my husband took be out for all you can eat prime rib at Running Aces. I never get more than the first slice but oh well. I love their prime rib!


Soooo good and a perfect ending to a perfect birthday. I was so dead after dinner. Eating, shopping, walking, drinking, eating --- I was beat.

Another 364 days til next birthday!


No comments:

Post a Comment