Wednesday, August 22, 2012

Roast Chicken

I got this recipe from the Pioneer Woman Cooks blog and it looked so yummy that I just had to try it out. It was all that I thought it would be and more.


Ingredients:
1 whole chicken
About a quarter cup of butter, softened
5 sprigs of rosemary
1 lemon
S&P

Look! They gave me a handicapped chicken! It only has one wing!



Steps:
Put foil in a glass pan big enough to hold the chicken and preheat oven to 400 degrees
Rinse chicken and place in baking dish (after you make it dance- I love raw whole chickens)
Chop 2 sprigs of rosemary really really fine
Add chopped rosemary to butter and zest lemon over the butter
Mash butter mixture until well blended



Spread butter mixture all over the chicken (not sure if this step is supposed to be difficult but I sure had a hard time doing this. Every time I went to spread the butter it just got in a big clump. Eventually I got it all evenly spread but it took patience and time)
Cut the lemon in half and stuff the bird with the halves and the other 3 sprigs of rosemary.


Throw some S&P (that’s salt and pepper) over the entire chicken
Bake for about 1hr and 20 min.



Ummmmmmmmm, my house was smelling soooooo good at this point.

When its done (I use a meat thermometer to check) take out and let it sit a few minutes. Then carve and serve!

I fried up some potatoes while I was baking the chicken.Just some more rosemary, S&P, butter and olive oil.

What a homey, delicious weeknight dinner!

No comments:

Post a Comment