Sunday, June 17, 2012

Cabin Food

The rain stopped so I ended up going to the cabin for the afternoon anyway. Packed up puppy and the pineapple cupcakes and we headed up north.

On the way up I got two texts from my mother of the food they were eating. I wanted it to be a surprise I was coming so I didn't write back to save me any. Bummer. There was a good amount of most of the food left but the sausage bites (pic below)- only ONE left! I don't know how they made it but it was really good! I wasn't there for a meal really, most of this they had for lunch and we all just grazed on it all afternoon. Yum! My mom, dad and one of my sisters' families were all up there. Which was good because I had to give my nieces a few presents - one for 8th grade graduation and one because she's having surgery Tuesday (gotta take care of my girls - they are so cute). We ate food, played outside in between the rain showers and had a pretty good afternoon. I wish I would have gotten up there earlier - time flies so fast at the cabin.

First, watermelon salad. Watermelon, feta, red onion and some "greenery" - not exactly sure what my sister threw in there. This was a refreshing summer salad, but I'm not a big fan of watermelon. Feta cheese on the other hand I could eat all day!


Second, the sausage bites. I only got one of these. Boo! I'll have to write more about them next time we have them. I'm not sure what they put in them or how they made them but they were one of the most delicious appetizers I've ever had. It was a puff pastry with a sausage in the middle seasoned with fennel and other seasonings.


Third, dry rub ribs. SOOOO good! I'm usually not a fan of ribs, just because they are messy to eat. But since these were dry rub they weren't messy at all and oh so delish! My dad first boils them and then rubs them with "Jeremy's Rub" and grills them. Jeremy is a butcher at Cub that my dad knows by first name and not only orders his meat from him but also buys this special rub from as well. (My dad rarely gets names right so I think Jeremy's real name is probably Jason or Jimmy, but my mom said she has met him and yes his name really is Jeremy - ok mom.) They were little ribs, not big ones. I feasted on these all afternoon. I couldn't stop grabbing them and eating them.


We also had baked beans and caprese salad (tomato, basil, mozzarella, balsamic vinegar), but I didn't take pics of those. Probably because I was too busy stuffing my face with all this goodness.

The fam loved my pineapple cupcakes and as usual I delivered a couple to the neighbors. Whenever I bring up a dessert I have to make sure they get some too.

Its great that the cabin is close enough to go just for an afternoon. Patches had so much fun playing with my nieces he is STILL tired! He of course had to have a bath when we got home. He spent the afternoon rolling in wet grass and laying in puddles. He smelled like a swamp. What a great Saturday it turned out to be!



No comments:

Post a Comment