Friday, June 8, 2012

Friday Dinner

Well- home from the city festival we went to after a great dinner. Had the in-laws over for dinner to celebrate their birthdays. Good food, good family.

I grilled the steaks I marinated overnight. I left them on the grill a little too long and they were too well done for my taste but everyone seemed to enjoy them. I think they prefer well done steaks. I really tried to have the "perfect" grill marks on them this time and I think I successfully accomplished that. The big trick is to put 'em on the grill and DON'T TOUCH THEM! Then flip, rotate and flip, and flip once more. They looked beautiful! Just a little too done. I wouldn't change a thing I did with the marinade. It was perfect!



Some people (no one tonight) put ketchup on their steaks. At first you might cringe, but when it comes right down to it-- eat what you like. I mean, ketchup does not belong on a lovely steak, but if that's what one's taste buds say to do, then just do it. To me the person who typically asks for ketchup just hasn't had the RIGHT steak. The possibility came up tonight but no one ended up needing any tonight. Keep an open mind, offer it if someone asks and in the end they will realize ketchup does not belong on the steak you cooked.

With the meat tonight we had baked potatoes. I'm being 100% serious when I say- "I have never made a baked potato before tonight." That's right. We either have mashed potatoes or I chop them up and put them in foil on the grill, not big baked potato people here. But it was a request, so I complied. Now before today came I asked my work people, whom I go to for many household and baking/cooking questions, can you grill baked potatoes? Sure they said but it will take a long time. Easiest technique is to wrap them in foil and throw them in a crock pot on low all day. Amazing! This is now the only way I will make baked potatoes (when I need more than a few). So, this morning while my coffee was still making its way through my veins, I wrapped six potatoes in tin foil and put them in my crock pot on low. Also, I pricked them with a fork first. (To prick or not to prick started a whole other conversation at work that I will not go into here. Just know that there are many ways to "prick" a potato and reasoning to and not to do it.) oh- I put out sour cream, butter, shredded cheddar cheese and S&P on the table for the potatoes.



To serve with all the above was a fresh tossed salad. Romaine, grape tomatoes, green pepper. I like to put out various dressings and let people choose what they like best. The only- I repeat- ONLY croutons I buy are Texas Toast brand. Any flavor but only that brand. They are big and crunchy.



Don't the steaks look delicious all piled high on the plate? Yum! There is a small piece left over that I have to find something yummy to do with tomorrow. Maybe I'll save it for the afternoon when my foodie friend comes over in the afternoon for smoothies and food.


After dinner we enjoyed the diet coke cake w/cherry vanilla frosting and everyone thought it was de-lish! Then headed to the city festival for a sweet band.





Just for fun- here's a pic of PatchMan being lazy and sitting down while eating (we mix his name up sometimes just to keep things interesting).



Good night all and happy Friday!

No comments:

Post a Comment