Saturday, June 23, 2012

Crab Salad

I went to Cub this week for pop, apples and puff pastry (going to make an apple tart this weekend) and ended up as always browsing the meat department. I always check to see whats on sale. As I walked past the fish and seafood I saw the fake crab (formal name - imitation crab) and remembered this really good crab salad I used to eat with my mother. So I picked up a pack and then had to get the rest of the ingredients and by the time I had everything for this salad, many other things that happened to look good that afternoon and what I originally went to Cub for my basket was overflowing and my arm was numb. I always do that. I can never go to Cub, Target or Menard's without buying three times as many items as I have on my list.

Crab Salad

Ingredients:

  • 1/2 to a whole package of imitation crab (you can get the flakes or "legs", I prefer the "legs")
  • Mayo (I suppose you could use Miracle Whip too, but I like Mayo and I only buy real mayo- no lite or fat free)
  • Mustard (I use regular yellow mustard for this salad)
  • Pasta (I like to use angel hair but any shape would do fine)
  • Seasonings - I add in pepper and a dash of paprika and only because I have chives right outside my door I added some of those too. Whatever you like in a cold salad add it in!

Steps:

  1. boil water and cook pasta
  2. when pasta is done rinse with cold water
  3. once pasta is completely cooled add in Mayo and mustard
  4. mix until well combined and then chop up crab if you have the "legs" or tear apart the flakes into smaller pieces and add crab to the pasta
  5. add in any seasoning or chives (Some people might like celery and I think that might be a good addition. Me- I am not a fan of celery in my cold salads, not in tuna salad, potato salad or this salad.)
  6. once everything is combined chill in fridge for at least an hour
  7. pig out and try not to eat it all by yourself in one sitting

I used half a box of angel hair pasta and ate almost the entire bowl the same day. I can't get enough of this salad. So good! I know its not thr most exotic recipe in the world but since its easy to make and has few ingredients its perfect for a quick lunch or side. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment