Tuesday, June 19, 2012

Father's Day Lunch

My husband asked what Patches was getting him for Father's Day - I said "same thing he got me for Mother's Day" - meaning nothing. haha. But we made a nice lunch on Sunday. I had various bell peppers and some beef cut up in cubes so we had kabobs. Yum! I love kabobs on the grill. (Actually I like anything on the grill. There is something about grilling that makes food taste so much better.)

Started out thinking I was going to put them on skewers (I had some soaking in water) but when I remembered I had the can of potatoes I changed my mind because I thought they wouldn't stick real well on the skewer. So I went out to the garage and got my kabob baskets.


I seared the beef in a fry pan with some seasonings (helps to sear the beef first because everything else is done so quickly) while I chopped up red, yellow and orange bell peppers, onion and opened the can of potatoes. I know- CAN of potatoes? But they are really good and perfect for this type of meal because they don't take as long to cook as real potatoes.

I threw everything except the beef in a bowl and tossed in olive oil, salt and pepper. Then I began stuffing everything in the grill baskets. I love these baskets - they were my parents and we used to use them all the time in the summer - but now they are mine! (When I lived at home my parents and I would make these with chicken, onions, tomato and potatoes.)


You really need to stuff them tight because as the yummy goodness cooks it shrinks and then everything starts to fall out of the openings. Almost like putting a puzzle together.


Throw them on the grill and turn every so often until done. (That's Patchman in the background, punched out and oh so tired from the cabin on Saturday.)


Then I either dumb in all in a bowl and serve it or dumb right on the plates. ohhhh soooooo good! and a perfect summer Sunday meal. I made a caesar salad to go with it.

After eating we did some yard work and sat around the rest of the day. It was a relaxing Sunday.

2 comments:

  1. Cat, can I call you "Cat" on here? Have you ever grilled fruits such as pineapple or bananas? I have even heard/seen people grill watermelon, but I haven't tried any of them yet.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No I haven't- but I've seen that too. I think grilled pineapple would be really good. Maybe even mixed in with peppers and chicken on a kabob. I'll have to try it this summer.

      And Yes I suppose you can call me "Cat" on here. Haha!

      Delete