Saturday, June 30, 2012

Garden and Tired Patches



I haven't been blogging a ton because I've been outside enjoying my garden or working late. I'm starting a new job the end of this month and am really excited. I'm statying at the same company but moving departments and changing my job title and role. I'll really miss my staff- they are all hard workers and fun people but this new job is something I've wanted to do for some time and now I can do it and not change companies. Lucky me. So I've been at work a little later than usual this past week because I have to start planning on transitioning to a new department and leave all my projects, etc that I've been working on this year. By the time I get home I just want to sit on the couch and watch tv with Patches so, I haven't cooked or baked much. But after the 4th I'll get back into the swing of things and post more.


I've also really been trying to keep up my garden this summer. Last summer I got kind of lazy and didn't water or weed when I should have blah blah blah. So this year I'm making sure everything is weeded and watered. I have my one main garden that stretches along the backyard and then I have a few plants around my deck. Most flowers are looking good this year but a lot did not make it through the winter so I have some empty spaces that I need to fill in. I buy some perennials from a good nursery but I also get a lot from my mother or friends and coworkers. I think that the ones I get from people (not nurseies) do better.

I design my own pots - why spend $40 or even $50 on a pot when you can buy a few annuals and plant them yourself? My favorite pots I do are two big pots on either end of my deck. Every year I've done different annuals in them.

Last year ---
I did almost all pink in my pots last year. Pink is my signature color. (Steel Magnolias line if you know that movie. It should be my line though because pink is my signature color.)


This year ---
I like to mix it up so this year I did a brown spike, marigolds, pink petunias, potato vine and some "furry" looking little purple flower that I don't remember the name of. I love how the marigold and pink petunia colors POP out! The potato vine is kind of taking over so I go out and move the vine back to where it should be. I don't want it crowding my petunia.


Well, I've got to get to Cub to pick up some items for the weekend and week. We're going up to the cabin tomorrow and my mother needs ice cream for banana splits and I've got to think of a fun appetizer or snack to bring up too. You can't show up to the cabin without food!


Oh, after working in the garden today I came downstairs after my shower and saw puppy like this...


Sleeping, upsided down, over the air conditioner vent. Life's tough huh Patches. In his defense-- he had a big vet visit yesterday. Got four shots, blood tests and lots of poking around and examining. Vet bills sure do add up but at least its only once every three years for most of his stuff. And the vet said Patches is very healthy and doing great!

No comments:

Post a Comment